Tuesday 6 November 2012

At Farewell Eucharist at Holy Name Cathedral on 27th May 2012


Vote of thanks from the parish during the farewell mass at Holy Name, Mumbai.

Dear Fr. Xavier.
Whilst our admiration for you is always soaring high, the situation compels us to let you go and it is with much reluctance we will have to bid Good Bye.

You have been an integral part of the Holy Name Cathedral Community from the very first day you came in and we are very grateful to you for that.

Seva Community and St. Thomas community were especially fortunate to have you as their Spiritual Director. You will always be remembered for your active involvement in enhancing the small Christian communities, for enriching our lives and for being a role model to us.   By doing so you have fulfilled your motto, “TO BE WITH HIM AND TO BE WITH THEM”

Your grace and character in reaching out to people is commendable. Your sincerity and dedication to pastoral work, is more than evident and sources within the parish say that you have held an unbeatable record. A special mention about your personal touch, you actually address 90% of our parishioners by their first names, it is incredible indeed.    

In more than many ways you have made a huge impact on us by caring, sharing and touching our lives unconditionally.  Irrespective of cultural and economic barriers, you have been the torch bearer of transformation and a real life hero. 

You have empowered the Tamil and Hindi speaking communities and been a treasure chest to them.  To the children you have been a Piped Piper, To the youth a source of inspiration, To the old a source of joy and happiness.  The nuns admit that you are ever willing to give your time, the priests describe you as “full of life”, they appreciate the balance you maintain between academics and pastoral work and you are someone whom they can rely on anytime. Last but not the least, we cannot forget the sinners, the confessional was ever ready and edifying.
In short, you came, you saw and you conquered and that too in great style!

Our brief interaction in the church compound after the 7.30 am Mass will be dull in the near future.  Many of us looked forward to meeting him in the mornings. It simply felt good with each one seeking a fair share of his attention.  Just those few minutes in the morning were so full of bliss.  Any conversation was backed with background music tein te dein, his animated gestures and then we would hear the resounding roaring laughter.  We will miss you a great deal, especially in the mornings.

Fr. Xavier has been very sincere, approachable and encouraging in every respect. It has been fulfilling to see how he acknowledged the many interfaith unions, rectified the marriages and got them to be blessed in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.  He took the trouble and made it a point to give our parishioners his time and energy despite his hectic academic schedule. Thank you once again.

Whilst the list can go on and I wish to continue saying many more good things about him, I would also like to share his straightforward personality.  He would not mince his words if he had to get a point across.  He justified whatever he said with valid reasons.  This I would say, heightened his spirit of valour and integrity.

Fr. Xavier you have left a mark in our hearts, I would have preferred to call it a tattoo though !   We will always cherish your love, the warmth, your friendly nature and many more memories that you leave behind for us.  You are a true Disciple of Christ & true priest .   We wish you a meaningful vocation and a fruitful ministry in pioneering the new mission in Siddhpur, the Archdiocese of Gandhinagar

With lots of love and God’s blessing in abundance.
From the Holy Name Cathedral community.


Vote of Thanks by Xavier James at the farewell Mass by His Eminence Oswald Cardinal Gracias and Fathers at Holy Name Cathedral on 27th May 2012

His Eminence Oswald Cardinal Gracius, Fr. Caesar Rector, Fathers, Brothers and Sisters,

First of all I would like to thank your Eminence Oswald Cardinal Gracius for offering the Eucharist and for the love appreciation and warmth I experienced from you for the two full years of my stay with you. Thank you Eminence.
I am grateful to His Lordship Agnelo Gracius for the arrangement to stay here and study. For the guidance I have been receiving from the time of my seminary days. He is my spiritual father.
I thank Fr. Caesar who asked Bp Agnelo to appoint me here with him. He was my Rector in the Seminary and is also my rector here. He is loving, caring, encouraging and hospitable person. Thank you father.
I thank all the Nuns of this parish and the fathers Nicholas, Nigel, Bento, Avin, Sunder, Tony, Elias, Neil, Jervis, Monsignor Willie and Savio for the acceptance, love and companionship I experienced.
I thank the animators of SCC especially of St.Thomas and Seva communities for all their support in building vibrant communities. I thank all of you for making me feel at home in this parish for the constant encouragement, love and for all the genuine smiles I received from you for 2 years.
I thank the Spice girls who help out in the Eucharist have been very helpful in teaching catechism for children and adults, taking care of children’s choir, cultural programmes in the parish whether it was the Golden Jubilee of Fr. Bento or Silver Jubilee of Fr. Nicholas. You have helped me in my ministry.
Thank you all once again for making me feel as a member of each of your family, so in St. Paul’s words to Philippians 1:3-10 I thank my God each time I Think of you and when I pray for you I pray with joy, Now there is one thing I am sure of He who began His work in you see that it is truly finished when the day of Jesus come. Now that I feel like this towards you seems only natural to me for you have shared me with my labour the Gospel privilege with me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment