Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Introduction was published in the Holy Name Record - The Parish News Letter in Mumbai - as a sign of welcome


When welcomed to Holy Name Cathedral Mumbai
“To be with Him and to be with them” was the motto I chose when I began my journey to priesthood. I was born to Selvarani and Leenus at Poothurai, Kanyakumari district, in Tamilnadu. I have a younger brother who is married. When I was five, my father was risen with Christ. When I was in 4th std. my aunt left for her heavenly reward leaving seven children behind. My mother brought them up in our home and they are settled and are grateful to God and my mother.
I joined the seminary in 1988 at Tamilnadu Xavier Mission Home, Nagercoil. In 1992 I opted to be a missionary priest in Gujarat. I came to Mumbai in 1998 to do my philosophical studies at St.Pius College, Goregaon. I worked in Malad East and Dharavi with Fr. Allwyn D’silva. Here I picked up taste for pastoral care of the faithful. Frs. Caesar & Cleo were my rectors and Bp. Agnelo was my spiritual father. I am grateful to all the seminary staff for their encouragement I received to be effective in pastoral field. I was ordained on 1st May 2007 for the Archdiocese of Gandhinagar.  I am grateful to Archbishop Stanny and fathers for their continual support.
I was appointed as the vice principal and teacher in the higher secondary school in Deesa, Gujarat. Afterwards, since the archdiocese was taking over Mehsana mission from the Jesuit fathers I was appointed there. One thing, I always say to myself that I do this not for me, it is the mission of Jesus so he will take care of it. Tremendous hard work and prayer life have helped me to solve many problems in the mission and do many pastoral activities in the parish. I have really experienced the providence of God in my apostolic work. We have a boarding for poor children who are really in need. We have a school there for the poor students around. We have a community care centre for the HIV AIDS patients. We have 85 migrant catholic families and we have begun SCC and is picking up well with its seven step method of Gospel Sharing. I get up very early and offer the people and the work to the Lord and it really bore fruit. 
Now I have come back to Mumbai to do my Masters in Social Work. I am really happy to have Fr. Caesar as my Parish Priest. I am glad to be in the company of vibrant priests, bishops and Cardinals.  I am sure together with my studies I will enjoy my pastoral care to you, the parishioners of Holy Name Cathedral and I am confident that you will enrich me with  your experiences of God so that I can live up to my motto of ‘To be with Him and to be with them’.
Xavier James


No comments:

Post a Comment