Tuesday 6 November 2012

This Interview was published in the Holy Name Record - Christmas 2011 issue


Always available, except when he is at college. Armed with an infectious smile, Fr. Xavier James is loved by all.  The Holy Name Record Reporter met him to find out what makes him tick. 

We believe that you are not from our diocese but have only been lent to us.  Tell us a little about your family and how you came to our parish.

I belong to the village of Poothurai, in Kanyakumari district and Trivandrum Archdiocese. We are two children for our parents. As my aunt died then my mother took care of her children thus I am one of nine children – four brothers and five sisters.  My father was a fisherman who died when I was only five and my mother was a Balwadi helper.  I joined the Apostolic School in 1988, which sends their seminarians to North Indian dioceses.  I chose to work in Ahmedabad and was sent there in 1992.  I was ordained in 2007 and have come to do my masters in Social Work from Mumbai University.  While I am studying I have been deputed to this parish to be part of the parish team.

What made you decide to be a priest?  And what draws you to pastoral work?

I have always been drawn to the church but when I was in my early teens in 1987, I went swimming in the sea.  I developed cramps in my legs and could not move. I thought I was going to die and called out to God to help me.  I stared death in the face and was reborn.  I knew that my life is given by God and decided to devote my new life to HIM and to His people.  In 1994 I wrote to Mother Teresa about my desire to be a missionary priest in Gujarat and she replied that ‘what the Church needs now are really priests Holy, full of faith and love for Jesus in the Eucharist and the poor. My prayer for you is that you always be generous to the call of God. Be God’s love and compassion and presence to all you meet, be available for the people’.  Both go together communion with the Lord and communion with the people.  One cannot separate the two.  In fact my personal motto is “to be with Him and to be with Them”.

You are a whiz with languages.  How many languages do you speak?

My village is in the border of Tamil Nadu and Kerala so I grew up speaking both the languages.  While studying in Mumbai – I picked up Hindi and in Ahmedabad though I did my schooling in Tamil, I did my B.A. in sociology and Psychology in Gujarati medium.  So besides English I speak four other languages, which has been a blessing for me in my pastoral work. You have noticed I express more through my gestures. I really acknowledge that love knows every language so even Konkani speaking people in our parish understand what I want to say through my laughter.

You are a great supporter of the Small Christian Community.  In fact, the communities you have been assigned to in our parish have become more active with you as their Spiritual Director.

I grew up with in a village where the community life is very strong.  My mother and sister were animators and from an early age I was involved through helping them.  In my village meetings are held every week on Wednesdays, and the entire community is present.  Not just the core group.  Something like the cluster meetings but only larger.  We share God’s Word and then discuss other matters.

While I was a seminarian I studied at St. Pius Goregaon.  I was deputed to work at Malad and Dharavi and help Fr. Alwyn, the Parish Priest to start the SCC movement there.  I worked with him for three years.  Once a week Bp. Bosco Penha asked me to visit Our Lady of Good Counsel parish in Sion where there is a sizeable Tamil population and promote the SCC with them.  Before coming here I was the Parish Priest of Mehsana and there too I started SCCs. This was a success. God’s grace helps me to get people involved in community work & keep going.

I believe you are going to be completing your Masters in this academic year and will be returning to your Archdiocese in Gandhinagar from June.  We shall certainly miss your smiling face and helpful nature.  Is there any message you would like to give the parishioners?

I don’t believe in number but the willingness to participate. Some say that Holy name is a dying parish means less number due to people shifting to other suburbs. Even hand full of can make the parish vibrant. I want all of you to be generous in participation in responding in the Euchararist and for the Eucharistic celebration, community works and selfless services. I wish you all the best to be witnessing community in the prime place of the economic capital. I thank each of you for the love and support for the past two years. I thank the Parish team of fathers and from the Archbishop’s house. I am grateful to Cardinal Oswald & Bp. Agnelo, Abp.Stanny & Fr. Caesar for giving me the oppertunity to be with you and work for the growth of the catholic community and glory of the Lord. ALL THE BEST & THANX.

No comments:

Post a Comment