Friday 1 May 2020

On 14th Priestly ordination day anniversary, I am grateful to you.

My Dear friends,

With immense gratitude and joy in my heart, I step into 14th year of my priestly life on 1st May 2020. I came to Gujarat as a Missionary for the diocese of Ahmedabad in 1992 and in 2002 as the bifurcation took place, opted to serve in the Archdiocese of Gandhinagar. I was ordained on 1st May 2007, after 19 years of my seminary formation. As the first assignment, I was appointed as administrator at St. Xavier’s School, Deesa. Together with Fr. John Peter and my companion Fr. Salvador Fernandes blended academics and pastoral activities together which brought so many people back to the parish. In 2008, I was transferred to Mehsana as the Jesuits were leaving, archdiocesan clergy had to take up the parish and give a good start. Subsequently I was appointed as the Parish Priest of St. Michael’s Church. By God’s grace and people’s cooperation made the parish vibrant with Small Christian Communities, frequent gatherings with agape meal, remembrance of special days of each member in the parish and thus brought about novelty.

In 2010, I was sent to Bombay to do my Masters in Social Work (MSW) from Nirmala Niketan college of Social Work. Whilst staying and helping the parish at the Cathedral of Holy name, Colaba, God blessed me with good priests and people and bishops to support my pastoral innovative. I was never tired of doing pastoral activities, my readiness to serve the poor and rich brought them closer to God. I still feel that Holy Name Cathedral parish is my 2nd home. Rightly, His Eminence Oswald Cardinal Gracias tells me often this is your home always welcome.

In 2012, as I completed my MSW studies, I was appointed at Siddhpur mission parish. I lived in a rented apartment for 3 years and began various works like forming the trust, registration, obtaining government certificates, permissions and began to build the school building of St. Xavier’s at Umru. Many of you, friends have helped me in this new venture. I lived in the school class room for 4 years and before leaving built the presbytery and Our Lady of Perpetual succor grotto. More than these, I was engaged in building up that small community of faithful and also few students who came to the school and their parents who were touched by God’s love.

With much reluctance I came to Gandhinagar to be the director of Archdiocesan Social Work. Still I did my best in the administration of the society. My whole worldview changed and had a resurrection experience when this corona virus pandemic began spreading in the world and in our mother land. I could not sit when people were suffering so went to buy preventive materials and began distributing them to rural and urban areas together with Sabarmati Samruddhi Seva Sangh staff. I did not have much resource, but that was no excuse at all, for the next phase which was to provide essential provisions to the migrant, poor, widow, needy, daily wager and their families. Gradually through many of your generosity help came and I could reach out to many on your behalf and of the Archdiocese to all the civil districts of Gandhinagar Archdiocese. ‘God loves the cheerful giver’ and ‘in giving we receive’ these were my real experiences. I have experienced hunger in Siddhpur in the initial years and I know the value of food and could understand the hungry and that is why till today I have never hesitated in reaching out to any needy person with food grains. I have always experienced the providence of God and directives of the Lord in the Holy Eucharist. What I am today and what I do is through the grace of God.

St. Mother Teresa wrote to me on 5th August 1994, “What the Church needs now are really priests Holy, full of Faith and love for Jesus in the Eucharist and the poor. My prayer for you that you always be generous to the call of God. Be God’s love and compassion and presence to all you meet” I try to become a small instrument in the mighty hands of our God. I try to live up to my motto of “To be with Him and to be with them”. I am deeply grateful to you all, for your presence and prayers in my life. Let us pray for each other that God does not abandon us in this time of crisis. May He heal the world and wipe away this disease from the face of the earth. Today I am grateful to my Mother and family members, Archbishop Thomas Macwan and the whole archdiocese. I thank each staff of Sabarmati Samruddhi Seva Sangh. Thank you all for coming into my life and encouraging me. I will continue to serve you and be an instrument in the precious hands of our loving God.    

At the Archdiocesan level, as the Director of Youth and Director of Archdiocesan Spoken English Course, by the grace of God imparted Christian values to the young people. As the secretary of Liturgy commission in the Archdiocese, I have enjoyed celebrating the Liturgy and helping others to pray meaningfully. As I am appointed the Secretary of Migrant commission of the Western Region, I do my best for the welfare of the migrants in our Archdiocese and also in Gujarat, Goa, Maharastra that comprises the Western Region.

As letter to the Hebrew in Holy Bible states in 3:13 ‘Every day, as long as this today lasts, keep encouraging one another’ Much of my life as a priest has been about encouraging people with the Good News of Jesus Christ, offering them ‘fresh heart’, even in the most troubled moments of life. I do realise that I too need to receive encouragement and I am happy to be blessed with a wonderful family and very special friends like you who never stop encouraging me. I am very grateful also for the warmth of your support and prayers, not just today but from the time I came in contact with you. You have become a part of my life and ministry.

With gratitude, Xavier James.

No comments:

Post a Comment